Monday, July 11, 2016

Review: A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet

A Promise of Fire
Amanda Bouchet
Sourcebooks 8.2.2016
448 pages
**** Stars
Goodreads • Amazon • Barnes & Noble • Google • Kobo
Source: ARC provided by publisher for honest review


Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…
Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her.



I've been into high fantasy novels Lately .  So when the opportunity to read A Promise of Fire was presented to me I jumped at it!  The beauty of a fantasy novel is being swept away into another world, being transported into the lives of complex and otherworldly characters. And it is by far one of the best things about being a reader.  And when the characters and story are done right...and you leave that otherworldly place behind you're  left with this...emptiness and a sense that maybe, just maybe it can actually be a possibility that world exists.  If only you could find the portal or magic closet to get there. That is how you know you've just read a good book.  Whether it's fantasy, sci-fi, romance...if you had any kind of after effects....I don't need to repeat myself.  And that's exactly what happened to me after I finished A Promise of Fire.

I enjoy mythology a lot and I was happy with how the author intertwined mythology with her story. Much like her main character, she didn't give too much away at once.  It kept me engaged as a reader, invested in the story as well as the characters. If you're preferred genre is fantasy you know how important world building is. IMO the plot is secondary to the world building because if you don't create a space for the story to unfold...it's just words on a paper.   I felt the world building and characters were amazing! Everything from the circus to the performers to Hades, all of it was utterly mesmerizing! Cat, our heroine, is going to have one amazing group of friends once all those formalities are out of the way.  Yes, I'm guessing here, but I got a sense of where this story might be heading.  Either way, I'll be reading the series.  

Speaking of Catalia (gorge name by the way!) I instantly liked her.  She reminded me of a cornered wild animal.  All claws and fangs but underneath is a very feeling and caring individual.  She was spunky, smart-mouthed and tough! My goodness what she endured....she's got liquid steel running through her veins.  When she meets Griffin her eventual love interest, oh my, the tension becomes so thick you can cut it with a knife.  Griffin is strong, confident, sexy, level headed, a great military man. I mean...where can I find one of these?! 

For a debut novel A Promise of Fire promises to be an exciting series full of action, angst and romance.  I am definitely looking forward to picking up this series.  If you're a fan of fantasy novels I highly recommend you pick this one up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment