Friday, February 19, 2016

Review: Ink & Lies by S.L.Jennings

Ink & Lies
S.L. Jennings
249 pages
***** Stars

From International Best Selling Romance Novelist, Hope Hughes, comes a gripping, heartfelt tale of two lovers, fighting for the freedom to...

No. Scratch that. Too cheesy.

...two people, torn apart by the tumultuous tides of life, only to discover refuge in...

WTF? What does that even mean? DELETE.

...two people, confused as shit as to where they should be and who they should love and none of this means a damn thing because it's all lies!
Lies.
I'm not Hope Hughes. I'm not some fierce woman romance machine. Hell, I'm not even a woman.
I'm a liar.
And while I refuse to believe my own BS, deceit masked in heartfelt phrases of love and devotion, I want to make her believe them. Because maybe--just maybe--if she can find the soul within my words, she'll also be able to find the truth scribbled on my heart.
You see, I once lived for the perfect plot twist.
I just never expected to actually live it.
This is my story. Well, maybe her story. I just wish I could make it our story.
The one I'm still writing.





There are very few times when I read a book and have to stop and just take a breath at the end of it.   There are very few books that can make me experience every single emotion known to man in the span of 250 pages.   But that's exactly what Ink & Lies did.  I laughed, I got angry, I yearned, I had the heart clenches and I loved.  I loved this story!  There's no in-depth, twisted, mind-fu$&ing going on here.  It's an average story about your average boy & girl and there seemingly average friendship. What makes it extraordinary  is the glaringly obvious fact that this boy loves this girl and he doesn't even realize it.  What drew me into this story, into these characters lives is being able to see their love and live it while simultaneously getting a narration of their evolving relationship.  I'm not sure if I'm doing the book or author justice when I say that so I guess I'll just say that it was good, reeallll good!

You see, our main character August wants to be this epic literary novelist but has ended becoming an epicly brilliant romance writer instead.  Hidden safely behind his pen name, he captures the hearts of millions of women both figuratively and literally.  The irony of this character is he doesn't believe a word of what he writes, denounces it actually while his best girlfriend since college is the exact opposite.  A true romantic at heart.  

"I guess the most epic romances are still tucked away within the pages of her favorite novels safely swathed in inked lies and faded paper promises.  Forever fictional.  Just like love."

They balance each other out because he's basically an a-hole and she's as sweet and fluffy as a marshmallow.  But that's exactly what I loved about them! Don't get me wrong here, I say he's an a-hole but not in the way where he's mean or malicious, he's one in that way where everything is sort of a joke to him, he's cynical and pretty much selfish.  But for Fi, he gives all the sweet, nice and good parts of him and that truly makes him likeable.  For me anyways.  When August finally can admit to himself what he's feeling, so resolved in owning them, he's unstoppable. And it's the swooniest thing I ever did read! 
"I want to be your hero, Fi.  In fact I know I could be all of them and more for you-because of you.  And I want to give you the most epic HEA in history-both real and fictional."
But lets not forget how damn funny this book could be at times.  I truly appreciated the present day references to pop culture.  It made the characters real and relevant.
"Hold the phone.  A pregnant...virgin...romance novelist? What were the sitcom writers trying to do? Stack every ridiculous conflict they could pull outta their asses and try to make them cohesive? What is this...plot twist tetris?"
You guys, if you could see my kindle notes for this book, I've highlighted so much it looks like a college student's text book!  True story! 

I loved this book! Well written with depth, emotion and like-able characters.  Ink & Lies definitely satifies everything a HEA hound like me looks for & craves in her books.  So far this book is my first top-pick read of 2016 and S.L. Jennings has become an author watch for me.  I'll definitely be reading more of her work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment