Friday, August 14, 2015

Review: Sixth Grave on the Edge

Sixth Grave on the Edge Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones
Publisher: St. Martin's Press, 326 pages
Source: Library
Goodreads
Amazon | B&N
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

 Few things in life can come between a grim reaper and her coffee, but the sexy, sultry son of Satan is one of them. Now that Reyes Farrow has asked for her hand, Charley Davidson feels it's time to learn more about his past, but Reyes is reluctant to open up. When the official FBI file of his childhood abduction lands in her lap, Charley decides to go behind her mysterious beau’s back and conduct her own investigation. Because what could go wrong?

Unfortunately, another case has fallen into her lap—one with dangerous implications. Some very insistent men want Charley to hunt down a witness who is scheduled to testify against their boss, a major player in the local crime syndicate. If Charley doesn't come up with an address in 48 hours, the people closest to her will start to disappear.

Add to that a desperate man in search of the soul he lost in a card game, a dogged mother determined to find the ghost of her son, and a beautiful, young Deaf boy haunted by his new ability to see the departed as clearly as he sees the living, and Charley has her hands full. The fact that Reyes has caught on to her latest venture only adds fuel to the inferno that he is. Good thing for Charley she's used to multi-tasking and always up for a challenge…especially when that challenge comes in the form of Reyes Farrow.
     

My Review

"...I've only ever wanted you. You are literally the light in my darkness, the redemption of my past. I waited centuries for you to be born on earth, for me to be able to bask in your glow. You are like a gravitational force that lures me closer with each breath you take."

Insert happy, dreamy sigh here. Who knew Reyes had such a sweet side to him?

So it ends on a cliffhanger. Not really a fan of those but for this book, this series, this author, I'm happy with this ending. Very fitting in terms of plot arc and story development. It's perfect considering the love between Charley and Reyes.

As usual per Charley, her harebrained schemes and ADD addled brain provided copious amounts of entertainment and laughter. There were many moments of giggle fits which resulted in weird looks from strangers and my bf as a result. True Story. As usual with each installment, there's a lot happening in the story. With the introduction of the "dealer" and finally getting Cookie & Ubie to have a love connection.  Add to that, solving cases and learning about Angel's background- there was never a moment of dullness.  I was pleased with the pacing of the story, I felt like Charley was finally getting some answers! Which in turn, gave me a better understanding of her character, but that's beside the point! Charley and Reyes were finally moving into a relationship. 

I'm soooo curious to see how that plays out.  And with the ending?! Holy moley!!! Glad the seventh book is already out so I don't have to wait.


I'm always satisfied reading a Charley Davidson novel and I think this book has been the best one in the series yet!  With character driven stories and a plot that's well thought out, there's just no way one can't be enthralled with this series!

View all my reviews    

No comments:

Post a Comment